Many organisms coexist with humans on the planet, some of which are capable of parasitizing inside humans and animals. In the people they are called by one common word - worms. Treatment for such a problem, signs of parasite infestation and prevention methods are discussed below.
Infected with helminths, and this is the correct name for worms and similar creatures that can parasitize in human, animal, fish organisms, in many ways. They cause significant harm to health, although often the infected person himself cannot even imagine that the problems that have appeared are a consequence of the vital activity of the parasite. What kind of worms do humans have? The answer to this question will help determine the type of individuals that caused the health disorder, and therefore, choose the right treatment. After all, why are worms dangerous? The release of waste products into the body's systems, the absorption of nutrients, the lack of which affects the state of health. In the treatment of helminthiasis, one of the main points should be strict adherence to the rules of personal hygiene.
What's the danger?
An analysis such as feces for worm eggs serves as a mandatory item for a medical examination to determine overall health. From the moment of admission to the nursery until the receipt of vouchers for sanatorium treatment, a person must necessarily undergo such a procedure. The presence of parasites in the body is the reason for medical withdrawal in certain situations. Many people prefer to take pills for the prevention of worms in advance, in order to be sure of getting the necessary negative test results. But why are helminths so dangerous that the procedure for determining their presence in the body is one of the most common during medical examinations of people of different ages and professions?
Parasites living in the human body have a detrimental effect on it, which manifests itself in different ways. So, immunity suffers from their vital activity - the tendency to colds, viral and bacterial infections increases. The body begins to lack useful substances - microelements and vitamins, which affects all processes in systems, organs and tissues, causing various diseases and pathologies. Since the worms carry out all vital processes inside the human body, the toxins released by them have a toxic effect, intoxication occurs. This, in turn, contributes to the development of asthma, allergies, disorders in the liver and kidneys. Worms have a negative effect on the work of all parts of the gastrointestinal tract. They also affect the functioning of the central nervous system, causing insomnia, irritability, excessive excitability, aggressiveness, which can develop into depression. The negative consequences follow those who suffer from problems such as worms. Its treatment should be carried out competently, taking into account many aspects, starting with the type of helminth and ending with the general state of human health.
Such different parasites
Before deciding on a treatment method, you need to find out what kind of worms a person has. Scientists have discovered several types of them. They fall into two large groups:
- nematode roundworms (Nematoda);
Both the group of parasites is very extensive, because only flukes belonging to the flatworms of trematodes, which can parasitize in the human body and cause diseases, are found about 40 species. In humans, diseases caused by the vital activity of worms are subdivided as follows:
What measures should be taken to prevent infection? Why are worms dangerous? Intoxication of the human or animal body with the products of their vital activity, as well as damage to the tissues and organs in which they settle.
Scientists divide parasites that can carry out vital activity in the human body, so to speak, according to their habitat:
- Luminal - this type includes worms that settle in various parts of the intestine. There are more than a hundred of them, the most common are pinworms, roundworms, hookworms, bovine tapeworm, whipworm.
- Cloth. They live in other organs and tissues, in addition to the intestines, affect the heart, lungs, liver, lymphatic system, and brain.
That is why the analysis of feces for eggs of worms is not always able to give an accurate answer to the question of the potential possibility of human invasion.
Need to be on your guard?
The symptoms of a worm infestation often do not immediately suggest such a problem. General weakness and malaise, weight loss, deterioration of the skin and hair are signs not only of helminthiasis, but also many other health problems. But itching in the anus, especially at night, the appearance of white worm-like inclusions in the feces, which, upon closer examination, turn out to be pinworm-like helminths, should become an incentive to visit a doctor and get tested for helminthiasis in order to identify the problem and receive quality treatment. Unfortunately, such obvious signs appear only when the infection has become widespread. The very first symptoms often go away unnoticed, the parasites are assimilated, in some cases spreading to many organs, affecting not only the intestines. In what cases is it necessary to visit a doctor for the appointment of certain tests that can detect helminthiasis? They are divided by specialists according to the area of manifestation:
- Gastrointestinal disorders. In the vast majority of cases, parasites are in the human intestine, causing a disorder of this particular system: stool disorders occur - constipation is replaced by diarrhea, heartburn and flatulence intensify, painful sensations appear in the abdomen, especially in the right hypochondrium and around the navel.
- Nervous disorders. Poisoning by the waste products of parasites causes disturbances in the functioning of the nervous system. Intoxication leads to headaches, dizziness. Often, patients infected with worms take such symptoms for the development of migraines, start taking painkillers, which, in turn, negatively affects their health. In their life, parasites use those useful substances that can be obtained in the human body. Because of this, the patient experiences vitamin deficiency, manifested in a constant feeling of fatigue, weakness. Such disorders due to infection of the body with worms are especially pronounced in children - babies do not sleep well, are capricious, school-age children reduce their academic performance.
- Allergic reactions and skin manifestations of helminthiasis are also common consequences of this problem. Due to the fact that parasites secrete the products of their vital activity into the human body, some reactions of the body begin to take place more actively, for example, skin rashes and itching appear. Rhinitis and dry cough may also appear, the condition of nails and hair, which suffer from intoxication, is disturbed.
- Helminths, having entered the human body and settled in it, also cause a deterioration in general health, expressed in a decrease in immunity, frequent colds. The infected person develops frequent inflammatory diseases of the nasopharynx, urinary tract and genital area. Also, the presence of helminths in the human body can manifest itself as bad breath and the appearance of an unpleasant taste in the mouth.
All emerging deviations in health and well-being require consultation with a specialist and certain tests. Many of those who think about the potential for infection with helminths are looking for an answer to the question of whether garlic helps against worms, believing that available means will help to avoid such an unpleasant problem as helminthiasis. But to be sure that there are no intruders in your body, you need to undergo a thorough examination.
How to identify the problem?
Under certain life circumstances, a person may be suspected of having worms. Which doctor should I contact to resolve the issue of diagnosis and adequate treatment of such a problem? The main specialist dealing with a disease such as helminthiasis is an infectious disease doctor.
A specialist can make a preliminary diagnosis of a particular type of parasite, "settled" in the patient's body, according to certain signs. So, for the invasion of pinworms, itching is characteristic, felt in the anus, which intensifies mainly at night. If parasites are actively multiplying, and there are a lot of them, then they can be seen on the feces, even with the naked eye. Deep dysbiosis against the background of damage to the intestinal mucosa develops against the background of infection with such helminths as whipworm, trematode Schistosoma, hookworm. If the invasion of the body is caused by a broad tapeworm, then a characteristic symptom, in addition to dysbiosis, will be B-12-deficiency anemia. Ascariasis can be characterized by severe weight loss, obsessive cough, weakness, sore throat. The development of jaundice, disruption of the liver and spleen may indicate infection with hepatic parasites.
It should be noted that the incubation period for different types of helminths can last from 3-4 days to 3-4 weeks. But for such a parasite as filarias, which cause filariasis or elephantiasis, such a time interval is up to one and a half years.
Only a specialist can determine the presence of helminths in the body, their type and method of treatment. It is impossible to choose an effective remedy for worms for children or adults on your own!
In order to determine helminthic invasion, a person of any age is assigned three main tests:
- feces for helminth eggs;
- blood on lamblia, parasitic in the liver;
- scraping for enterobiasis.
Under certain conditions, the patient may be assigned additional examinations, for example, during a recent visit to tropical regions, where you can become infected with parasites atypical for our country.
Perhaps, no person is immune from such a problem as worms. Treatment of invasion should be selected by a specialist only after diagnosis and taking into account the general health of the patient. Perhaps someone will argue that in any pharmacy you can see on the shelves drugs for worms of a wide spectrum of action, sold without a prescription. But only a specialist can recommend this or that remedy for use. As with any other disease, helminthiasis is best prevented. This is especially true for people at risk:
- small children;
- people in close contact with animals;
- those who eat meat or fish that have not been fully heat-treated;
Today, experts are conducting research into the influence of helminths on the development of many serious diseases, including cancer. That is why the timely identified problem of invasion, high-quality prevention of infection become very relevant for modern society.
Worm pills are sold in any pharmacy. Their price range is quite extensive. But before you buy and take any drug, you need to get the advice of a specialist, because different types of parasites such as worms require appropriate treatment. Only a doctor will be able to recommend a drug capable of getting rid of uninvited guests in the human body within a certain time frame. The drugs can be roughly divided according to the way they act on parasites:
- paralyzing the activity of individuals;
- violating metabolic processes in parasite tissues;
- blocking certain processes in the body of the helminth.
What pills are available for the prevention of worms? This is a common question that pharmacists hear in pharmacies. They work mainly to anticipate the obvious manifestation of helminthic invasion, a person only assumes infection, without observing any deviations in the state of health.
Also in pharmacies you can buy herbs for worms, which are proven by scientific research and have an anthelmintic effect.
Treatment of worms in children, as well as the prevention of helminthiasis should become one of the permanent points of care for a child of any age. Since children, mastering the world around them, all try to "taste and taste, " the risk of contracting the same pinworms or roundworms is constantly present.
For centuries, people have tried to get rid of worms with the help of plants. Currently, the antiparasitic effect of some of them is confirmed by scientific research. These are, for example, pumpkin seeds, which have a laxative and, as a result, antihelminthic properties. A brittle buckthorn bark has a similar effect, which can be purchased in pharmacies in the form of a powder for preparing an infusion or decoction.
Does garlic help with worms? Yes, in some cases, this spice is capable of antihelminthic action. In addition, infusions and tinctures based on garlic stimulate the immune system, affect the body's ability to self-purify from unwanted guests - viruses, bacteria, fungi and helminths. Herbs against worms are invariably popular, especially as prophylactic agents - tansy, centaury, bitter wormwood, ginger, chamomile. They are used in decoctions and infusions, have laxative, anthelmintic, disinfectant, anti-inflammatory properties. It would be most reasonable to take such folk medicines as an adjunct to the main therapy of an established invasion or preventive measures.
Another way to get rid of intestinal worms is to flush the intestines. You can use drugs and plants that cause diarrhea. And you can use a recipe for an enema for worms. For example, this:
- 20 grams of wormwood must be chopped;
- pour 3 liters of hot boiled water into the raw material;
- to insist for half an hour;
- drain, straining, the resulting product and squeeze through cheesecloth;
- use infusion warm - 25-35 degrees for a more comfortable feeling during the procedure and better action of the components.
You can only give an enema once a day. Moreover, like any other medical intervention in the human body, it must be agreed with a specialist. Enemas help to remove toxins and toxins, waste products of parasites and themselves. But if the invasion is not cavity, but interstitial, then the enema will only be an auxiliary agent that cleans the intestines. Many medicinal plants - chamomile, St. John's wort, calendula - can be used to prepare a remedy such as an enema for parasites. The proportions in this case remain unchanged - 20 grams of dry grass per 3 liters of water. They will allow you to cope with the task and not harm the intestinal microflora.
Hygiene and prevention
For people at all times such a problem as worms has been relevant. Treatment of invasions was carried out and is carried out using all possible means. The pharmaceutical industry is constantly releasing new drugs that can cope with the helminthic infection of the body. But the best remedy is prevention. Since helminth infection occurs mainly through the mouth, any possibility of parasite eggs entering the oral cavity and further into the intestine should be excluded. To do this, the following rules must be strictly observed:
- wash hands regularly with soap and water;
- keep household items such as toys that a child might put in their mouths to clean;
- thoroughly wash vegetables and fruits with running water;
- vaccinate and treat pets that family members come into contact with;
- thoroughly heat-treat meat and fish during cooking;
- observe the rules of personal hygiene (regular change of underwear, care for the intimate area with the help of special care products);
- if you suspect an infection with helminths, or even just for the purpose of prophylaxis, you need to consult a doctor for the appointment of a special examination and the selection of medicinal and prophylactic drugs.
Taking these precautions will help you avoid health problems like worms. Treatment of an invasion can be quite lengthy and therefore expensive, although prevention will bring both protection against invasion and general benefit to the body, preventing infection not only with worms, but also fungi, viruses and bacteria.